A STORY OF A MOM WHO CLEANS UP MESSES AND LOVES THOSE DRESSES

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Life as a One-footed Momma and Dress of the Week =)



Life is definitely interesting since getting back from Hawaii. Everything is a little more difficult. Since breaking my foot, I am not able to put any weight on that foot and have to hop, crawl or use my crutches to do everything.
Some of the hardest things are...
being patient and waiting for my hubby to bring the laundry up or down the stairs for me.
when children fall asleep driving home. What do ya do?
not being able to go outside because I can't get the kids back inside on my own.
the doctors voice in my head telling me I need to keep my foot up. Ok, fine I put it up.
getting the kids to bed when my hubby isn't home.
the blister forming on my good foot from hopping so much. =P
being so slow.
stairs. Stairs and I are not getting along at the moment, but I'm getting a little better.
getting out of the bathtub and not being able to shower.
having to ask for help sometimes.
not being able to run a marathon like I had planned.
Wah wah poor me.

Ok, now that I got that out...

Good things are...
a new perspective on life. Some moms live with disabilities all the time. I feel very compassionate towards them lately. Not that I didn't before, but I feel like I have a small glimpse.
my kids have been very helpful getting things for me and my hubby has been helping with stuff that is very difficult for me when he is home. I usually have a list of things I need him to do at the end of every day and he does the grocery shopping.
my kids are learning to be a little more patient.
I can still do most things, just in a different way than before.
I like cloudy rainy gloomy days because I don't feel bad about not taking the kids outside.
The doctor had a more optimistic idea of how quickly I will heal on Saturday. I might be able to have a walking cast next week! Sounds better than the 2 to 3 months the doctor in Hawaii told me to expect. So keeping my fingers crossed.
I don't feel bad now when I sit down and put my foot up because I know that is what I should be doing.

Funny Moments
On Saturday, the doctor asked me if I needed a note or something for work. I laughed and said something like Mom's don't get time off. He asked me what I did then. I said I had chairs strategically placed around the house to rest my knee on and I hopped around on one foot and crawled up and down the stairs.
Monday I was trying to show Gordon how to skip. lol It was entertaining.
Chasing Tegan on crutches at Gordon's and Neil's soccer practice and hearing her giggle because she was just as fast.
Gordon telling me right before bed that he broke his foot and needs a cast like mine, and then walking casually over to his bed to say prayers.

Dress of the Week
Matthew isn't much of a clothes shopper, so Little Princess probably won't have a new dress for a little while. She has plenty, though, so probably a good thing. =0)

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mikolaj said...

haha that's like Weronika! Her friend's got a new pair of glasses because her vision isn't the best, so Weronika started saying she can't see letters when she reads and what not... she wore her glasses for about a month then admitted that she just wanted a pair like all her friends :P

Kara said...

Loved this post, thanks for sharing.
Of course I hope you heal as fast as is humanly possible ;)
if you had a laundry container that was enclosed and had a handle, the boys could pretend it was a train ;)