A STORY OF A MOM WHO CLEANS UP MESSES AND LOVES THOSE DRESSES

Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Double Birth Story

This story started perhaps sooner than this, but I'll start on July 1st.  I spent a fantastic Canada day with my children.  We went to a historical site, to a festival with bouncers and a magic show, out to dinner, and ended with an enjoyable time watching fireworks.  My husband was with my oldest at a campout outside of the country.  On July 2nd I had a doctor appointment.  My doctor looked at the results from my last fetal assessment.  After a few moments, my doctor said I needed to pack and go to the hospital that day.  My babies were not due till August 20th.  I had placenta previa, so my doctor said I needed to be at the hospital in case I went into labor as it would be extremely dangerous for me and the babies if I did.  She said I would have a scheduled c-section at around 36 weeks if I made it that far.  I said that is a bad idea.  I had 4 children at home that just ended school.  I had just finished working and my daycare lady was on holidays and my husband wasn't in town and I could not get ahold of him as he had his phone stollen on the trip.  My sister in-law was watching my kids so I could go to my doctor appointment.  I cried all the way there and told her the news.  She agreed to watch the kids until I worked things out.  I gave my kids hugs, told them I loved them and left to get my things in order.  I made several phone calls working out where my kids would be and packed some things, did a little grocery shopping, and my mother in-law took me to the hospital and dropped me off.  My c-section was scheduled for July 27th.  At first I could walk around and even go outside, but then they said that was too dangerous without someone with me.  So I mostly stayed around my room.  I learned how to crochet some things on Youtube and practiced making some purses, outfits for the girls - dresses, headbands, shoes.  It felt strange to be in the hospital and other than being uncomfortable, felt healthy.  They checked the babies heart beats regularly and I started to get very itchy.  I found out I had cholestasis of pregnancy.  With a medication, the itchiness became bearable.  Visitors were highlights of any day and something to look forward to.  The days moved slowly, but finally the 27th came.  Matthew and my Mom were with me.  I walked downstairs to the labor and delivery floor.  They only allowed one family member in with me, so while they prepped me, Matthew changed into scrubs.  The anesthesiologist came in with a student.  The student attempted to put an IV in.  He was unsuccessful and was digging around in my skin.  I asked that the anesthesiologist do it and made sure he was not administering the epidural.  He made me nervous.  The anesthesiologist got the IV in quick and easily.  Matthew came in.  I was laying down and could not lift my legs.  I was numb.  The epidural worked.  They cut me open and took one baby out fairly quickly.  The second baby was more challenging as she was transverse.  I was thinking this is easy.  I couldn't believe how quickly the babies came out of me.  They looked big and healthy.  The first, Lillie, was 6 pounds, 14 ounces and the second, Arielle, was 7 pounds, 1 ounce.  They were perfect, beautiful babies.  Matthew took a couple pictures of the babies, then looked at the ground and saw the pool of my blood.  I lost a lot of blood, about a litre.  The nurses were going to hand the babies to Matthew but he said he was going to pass out.  They hurried him out of the room, but not quite quick enough.  He passed out.  They stitched me up.  I was starting to have a difficult time breathing.  It hurt to breathe.  They told me I was ready to go into the recovery room, but my husband was recovering in my bed so they needed to find me another one.  Once they got me into the recovery room, I had some issues with clots coming out of me.  They needed to push them out and it hurt like crazy.  I lost a lot more blood, but I was fortunate to not need a blood transfusion.  Finally I got to go to a room.  I had visited the NICU during my time at the hospital, but my babies did not need to go there.  They came into the room with me.  I couldn't sit up at all.  My muscles were cut through.  They asked me if I had someone staying with me as they did not help with the babies.  I couldn't believe it, but my Mom agreed to stay to help.  The next two nights, my husband stayed with me.  It was crazy.  These beautiful little girls needed to eat and be changed and held and I was a mess.  I could barely move.  After 3 nights, I was sent home.  My parents stayed for a month, taking a baby at night.  After being home for a week and a half, my incision started to stink and didn't look very good.  I had to go back to the hospital.  My incision had to be reopened and drained.  It was really gross.   I had to stay there for three more days without the babies.  I wanted to get back home to help my parents as it was very difficult for them at night.  Fortunately, I was able to get home care to come to my house and take care of my wound, so I was able to go home.  Now they are 3 months old.  They are smiling and such happy sweet little girls.  They are a lot of work, but so enjoyable.  So grateful for all the help we have received from family and friends.  These girls are truly gifts from God and bring smiles and joy anywhere I go.  Not an easy road, but so worth it.  Love these little girls.  


Arielle Charity and Lillie Faith
July 27, 2015
In this picture, they are 4 days old.
I made their outfits during my stay at the hospital.

No comments: